Wednesday, May 27, 2009

More Horse

We spent the weekend with my DH's maternal Uncle and his wife. Uncle is a true cowboy. He is blacksmith, shoes horses, breaks horses, makes his own chaps, and packs mules amongst other very cowboy things. I am not a cowboy. Nor am I a cowgirl. Growing up on a small farm, we were not allowed to have horses because you could not eat them! Back on track now...My son loves animals. This is not an uncommon occurance for children. But let's face it, I am bragging about my son here! He rode his first horse with Uncle. He did not hold onto the saddle horn at all. He first held his hands together in front of his chest and soon relaxed into a position with his arms spread out on either side. Uncle would circle the corral once or twice and then stop in front me and my husband. Each time Clay would say, 'More Horse' and they would circle around again. He was so at ease on top of Handy the horse. He rode on two different days, picked weeds for the horses to eat, handed me small handfulls of hay to give the horses, sang three songs to them (Sing a Song, Old MacDonald and Patty Cake) and wished them good night each evening we were there. It was a memorable weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, talk about a brave soul! Sounds like he's a natural on that horse. I honestly don't think I've ever heard of any child riding a horse so fearless. That's pretty amazing...and sounds soooo fun! Looks like you got yourself a little cowboy on your hands mama :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are to kind to indulge my bragging. Thank you! I am impressed at his calmness with animals at 21 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have certainly piqued my interest with all this farm talk Mama Ruck!!
    How amazing for such a little guy to be so natural and fearless around such a huge creature, that is wonderful!
    I like what you wrote in your "About Me" : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, there aren't a lot of true cowboys left.

    Sounds like a total natural. You should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your comments! I am so proud of him. He was better on that horse than I was. And you are right a true cowboy is a rare find. When I first met him, I was blown away that they actually exisit.

    ReplyDelete